The smog and air pollution is a serious issue in the Inland Empire Area. To help prevent a serious Smog Episode, the faculty and students of the University will form carpools and/or use public transportation as much as possible. Should a Smog Episode be called, the University will have plants to limit activities that might be injurious to students and employees and lessen the possibility of increasing the concentration of pollutants in the air.
Emergency Action Plan for Smog Alert
For Health Advisory the following individuals are advised: Health Services, Physical Education, and Physical Plant.
During a Smog Episode or the time of a Smog Episode will be received by the Security Department who will then alert departments on the campus.
During Stage 1 Smog Episode Security will:
- Notify Health Services, Physical Education, and Physical Plant supervisory personnel to inform workers and students of the Stage 1 Episode.
- Continue the day’s activities as usual; avoid any outside activities that may call for strenuous physical activity.
In the event of a Stage 2 Smog Episode occurs Campus Security will:
- Notify the following: Biology, Chemistry, Deans of Schools, Department Head, Health Services, Personnel, Physical Education, Physical Plant, Physics, and students.
- Comply with all steps given under Stage 1 Episode.
- Reschedule laboratory periods where air contaminants are being released into the air to a time when there is no Stage 2 alert or forecast one.
In the event of a Stage 3 Smog Episode Campus Security will:
- Notify the following: Biology, Chemistry, Deans of Schools, Department Heads, Health Services, Human Resource, Physical Education, Physical Plant, Physics, and students.
- All scheduled outdoor activities will be canceled.
- All outdoor maintenance, construction, or other outdoor scheduled activities will be canceled and rescheduled.
- Comply with all steps given under Stage 2 Episode.
- Campus Security will notify personnel when conditions are normal and prepare and maintain a complete record of the episode.